Friday, November 20, 2009

A Wet Day

I had a great idea today to ride the Light Rail system downtown. I thought it would be fun. . . actually it didn't turn out all that bad except I was very wet and cold by the time I got home. It's an interesting system. Since I'm from the Bay Area, I can't help comparing it to BART. Which is mostly inside. And warm. And dry. The light rail stations that I went to today were outside - I don't know if that's true of all of them. Outside is fine if it's a nice day. When it's pouring rain and cold, it isn't so great!

But it was fun to ride and get a different view of the area that I've been driving. I rode it downtown and walked around a big mall. On my outward journey it actually hadn't started raining yet. By the time I finished wandering around the mall - which was pretty empty - it was beginning to drizzle. I realized that I was close to the library and remembered that I had a couple of books on hold so I walked over there and got the books and looked around a bit. I was severely limited by what I could check out as I had to carry them home!

By the time I left the library it was pouring rain and I had to walk 3-4 blocks to the station and stand in the rain waiting for the next train. At this point I was muttering not so kind words about myself and my dumb ideas! By the time I got home I was completely soaked and freezing. A hot shower and dry clothes left me in a much happier frame of mind and willing to admit that it had actually been kind of fun. I didn't spend as much time as I'd planned because of the weather so I'd like to do it again. I'm thinking that maybe on the weekend there will be more people around and it'll be a little more interesting.

I didn't take many pictures but here's a few of the downtown area. The first one is the light rail station where I started!








2 comments:

Peruby said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. We all have good intentions when we start out. It's a new adventure.

I hope you had your books in a tote or bag so they didn't get wet. When you got warm and dry you also had new books to read! That always brightens my mood.

robin michelle said...

Thanks Peruby. I definitely had my books in a bag - I carry a little tote in my purse that opens up so I'm always prepared to carry books! It was very nice to be warm and dry and sit down and read, it did cheer me up!