Sunday, November 1, 2009

NaNoWriMo

I just joined NaNoWriMo - I'd wanted to do this last year and forgot and almost forgot it started today. So. . . in case you don't know NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. The goal of participants is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight of November 30th. I haven't been writing every day for the past few months which had been one of my goals. I'm hoping this will help push me a little. This is from the NaNoWriMo write-up: Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

One of my problems in writing is that I tend to edit and criticize myself intensely during the process. What I really need is to let myself write junk and accept it. To keep moving the pen (or keys) and ignore the voices in my head. So hopefully I'll be able to do that this month. If you're interested click on the link above and join!

No comments: