Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Library Card!


Yesterday was the 2-week anniversary of my move to Sacramento. I'm embarrassed to admit it's been that long and I still didn't have my library card. As you can see, I remedied that situation today. I was feeling kind of sad and trying to think of something cheerful to do and I realized a great way to cheer up would be to go to the Sacramento Library and get a card. Everyone does that right? Where else would you go if you want to feel good but to a library. Surrounded by all those books, knowing you can bring them home with you at no charge, what more could a person want?

There is a branch library about 1/2-mile from me but I decided that since this was my first foray into the Sacramento library system, I should go all out and head for the Central Library. I most definitely was not disappointed. The Central Library takes up an entire city block, has 4 floors of books, a lovely, spacious light-filled interior, a quite respectable section on British history and a really large poetry section. I parked in front at a metered location that only allowed 30 minutes. I figured it was ok because I was just going to get my card and take a quick look around. Fortunately this story doesn't end with a ticket but only because my back was hurting so I left within the 30 minutes. Otherwise I'd probably still be there and have a pile of tickets on my car. Next time I'm going to park in the garage so I can stay as long as I want!

I have 2 other library cards in my wallet (I'm not saying where from because I refuse to return them) but I think I like this one best. It's the one for the library in my new home and I really feel like I belong here now.

2 comments:

Peruby said...

What a great idea for when you are feeling blue! Hope your mood improves. I believe it is normal to feel a little down when making such a huge life change. Go easy on yourself. :-)

robin michelle said...

Thanks Peruby. I think you're right - I'm still getting used to the idea that I've actually moved here! I am feeling better and I appreciate the good thoughts. Take care.