Tuesday, November 4, 2008

President Obama

He won!!! I feel like I should write an insightful post but I don't know what to say. I'm fairly cynical when it comes to politics but like most cynical people (at least in my opinion), I secretly want something to believe in. And in listening to Obama I come pretty close to believing -- that he can really begin a process of change that will bring people together and make some real, effective changes in this country.

When I listened to his speech tonight it reminded me of the quote below. Really great leaders have that ability, to teach people to long for something bigger than themselves and to work for it. And to keep on working despite set-backs and mistakes. As Obama pointed out in his speech, it isn't an easy task and there will be set-backs and it won't happen overnight. Nothing worthwhile does.

If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery


No comments: