Friday, November 14, 2008

Code of Practice for Cat Welfare

As in most things, the UK is ahead of the US in their concern for and treatment of cats. The UK’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) issued a controversial Code of Practice for the Welfare of Cats this week.

The Code requires, among other things, that cat owners:
  • ensure their cat has a place to climb
  • have at least one litter tray per cat in different parts of the house
  • control their cat’s diet so they are neither obese nor too thin
  • provide means of identification such as a micro-chip or a special type of collar
  • supply a suitable scratching post and toys,
  • play with their cat regularly
The Code does not technically have the force of law however it can influence a court considering prosecutions under the UK’s Animal Welfare Act which imposes penalties of up to six (6) months imprisonment and fines of £20,000.

London's cat-only veterinary clinic, Kitten to Cat, supports the Code only suggesting it could have been stronger on the subject of neuter/spay. I would agree with that. I think it should be required that pet owners, unless they are breeding, have their animals spayed/neutered.

So cat owners, how do you stack up? I'm pretty good although I only have 1 litter box. In my defense I clean it a couple of times a day and we've never had any kind of problem so I think it is ok. Now, it has been suggested that Mellifera is a bit less than svelte. However, I think that the individual who said that was just jealous because she is so pretty. Aside from those two things I'm doing good. My cats have lots of places to climb, they are both micro-chipped, they have a scratching post & lots of toys and we play with them.

I don't know what you all got out of this story but my take is that I can easily move to London and bring my cats. There is even a cat only vet! I told Pippin & Mellifera about this. They thought it sounded like a good idea - the Code not the move. They weren't real thrilled at the thought of a 10-hour plane ride.


Robin, the lonely blog mistress

1 comment:

Deni said...

Wow! I'll have to tell my cats about this. They aren't microchipped, but perhaps they love this house so much that is the reason they don't wander much? We have no litter boxes because they are all housebroken, have plenty of toys and are all spayed/neutered. At any rate, I think this is a wonderful post and it may convince my cats to move to the UK with me (south England in particular)!