Sunday, November 2, 2008

Proposition 8

Tuesday is Election Day. I think you can figure out how I voted for President by the logo on the right-hand side. As important as the election of a president is, there is another issue that will be voted on in California that I think is even more important. I rarely listen to the news because it annoys me. Tonight I happened to be watching when people were being interviewed who are in favor of Proposition 8. As usual I was irritated so I decided I'd write a post about it.

If Proposition 8 passes it would take away the right of same-sex couples to marry. In May of this year, the California Supreme Court ruled that limiting marriage to a relationship between a man and a woman violated the equal protection clause of the California Constitution and that same sex couples had a right to marry. Proposition 8 would take away that right and add a section to the constitution that states that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

There are a lot of rational arguments that can be made to oppose Prop 8. I'm not really good at rational arguments so I'll make a couple of irrational ones. Before that though I'd really like someone to answer a question for me: Why are people opposed to same sex marriage? I truly don't get it. Yeah, I've heard the religious arguments. What difference does it make? If God cares that much, I'm pretty sure that she/he can do something about it without any help from anyone else. I kind of suspect it isn't much of an issue though. Generally, I think people get this incensed about something because they are afraid. So what are they afraid of? Why do people care so much what complete strangers do with their lives?

On July 4, 1776 the Declaration of Independence was approved. It contained the following statement: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Overall I'm in favor of this statement and I'm pretty sure that pursuit of Happiness would include the right to marry the person of your choice.

Honestly though, in my mind, what it all comes down to is pretty simple. You love someone, you want to marry them. Why should it matter if they are the same sex or opposite sex? It shouldn't be about laws and regulations, it should be about two people who want to make a life together. I heard one of the supporters of Prop 8 on the news tonight say it isn't about love but lust. Many of the same sex couples who have been married since May are couples who have been together 10, 20, 30+ years. I think that is more than lust and far longer than many heterosexual marriages last. And as Jill pointed out, if it's still about lust after 30 years that's pretty good!

Well, there you have my opinion. I doubt it will change anyone's mind (especially since no one reads this blog!) but I hope it will make you think. And at least I got to do something about my irritation with the news!

Vote No on Proposition 8.


Robin, the lonely blog mistress



No comments: