Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Just a thought

This video is pretty much what I was trying to say only far more eloquent! I'll tell you a secret folks, no matter your sexual orientation, it hurts to not be able to marry the person you love. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy. Don't inflict it on your friends, family and neighbors.

I was thinking about all the religious arguments being thrown around about this issue. There are a lot of do's and don'ts in the Bible. I guess they've confused people for a long time. It is recorded in the new testament in various places that Christ was asked what the most important commandment was. This was his answer: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these.

C.S. Lewis, in commenting on loving your neighbor, said it doesn't mean you have to like them. What you must do is want for them the same happiness you'd want for yourself. I'm pretty sure marriage would be covered in that.

There have been times throughout history when people had the opportunity to stand up for something that really mattered. Not just to vote on whether to fund a program or elect a certain person, but to really look into their hearts and come up with an answer that defines who they are and what they believe. While, as I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not a particularly logical person, I have a hard time believing that anyone can use religious arguments to dispute what I quoted above. In any language, any interpretation, version or whatever you want to use, it's clear: Love your neighbor as yourself. And I just realized that wasn't my logic. If you believe the Bible, it is God's reasoning. That really ought to make you think.

Watch the video. It's a little long but worth listening to.

No comments: