Saturday, November 22, 2008

Movie lines

I have a number of movie lines that I'm waiting to use in conversation. They are terrific lines that I feel would really impress people but I'm reluctant to throw them in. There have been a few times when they might have been appropriate but I hesitated & all was lost. Since I'll probably never get up the nerve to actually use them I thought I'd at least post them in the hopes that someone else may find them useful in a future conversation.

Many of my favorite lines are from Anne of the Thousand Days. This isn't surprising since it is my absolute favorite movie and I can quote much of it!

This line is from Henry to Anne when she begs him not to hurt Harry Percy: I try not, vengeful and bloody as I am, I try not! I've wanted to use this line in a conversation since the first time I heard it, probably 30 years ago. I'm not sure what effect it would have on the listener but I'm thinking it would definitely be a conversation stopper. Probably it has the most effect if you are a king who can actually do something vengeful & bloody like cut off someone's head!''

This is Anne's response when Henry tells her she's going to die (her head was chopped off with a sword - just in case you wondered). So be it. Only what I take to my grave, you take to yours. This appeals to me for some reason & I really want to say it to someone. Now that I think about it though, I'm really not sure what it means. Oh well.

Also from Anne of the Thousand Days. This quote is at the end of a long speech Anne makes to Henry before her execution. She is predicting that her daughter, Elizabeth, will be a great queen: And my blood will have been well spent! Now I'm not sure how I could ever fit that into a conversation but I'm working on it!

My second (third & fourth also) favorite movie is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. For some reason this line really tickles me. It is from the Fellowship of the Ring. The members of the fellowship are in Moria trapped by oncoming Orcs. Boromir looks out the door and says, They have a cave troll. I desperately want to say this some day but cave trolls are in short supply in my neighborhood so I don't have high hopes.

This one is also from LOTR when Aragorn is speaking to Frodo & asks if he is afraid. Frodo says yes and Aragorn replies: Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you. I just figure saying that to someone would keep them awake for many nights.

Last, but far from least, is the conversation between Frodo & Sam when Frodo is leaving the fellowship to travel on to Mordor. Frodo says: Go back, Sam. I'm going to Mordor alone. And Sam replies, Of course you are. And I'm coming with you.

Hopefully someone reading this will be in a position to use one of these in conversation. If you do, please let me know the result!

So this is pretty much it folks. Tomorrow is the 23rd and I've already scheduled the Silent Sunday picture. As I've said (repeatedly!), I don't want to do this blog alone. I appreciate the people who have posted and commented, I appreciate the people who have read & not posted or commented and I even appreciate the people who haven't read or posted or commented! I'll continue posting when something interesting comes along but not on a regular basis. I hope other people will continue and/or start posting. Hint: Here is the part where you all write me letters full of money begging me to continue. I'm feeling kind of sad about this actually. Anyway . . .

Wishing everyone health, happiness, prosperity and friends who will travel to Mordor with you!

Robin, the lonely blog mistress

No comments: