Thursday, April 22, 2010

One Small Change


Today is Earth Day and the final day of the One Small Change challenge that I've been participating in this year. I had fun doing it and it's made me more aware of bad habits that I have. So far I'm sticking with all my changes. I've had a few mishaps, drank one or two cokes, turned on my heater when I didn't need to, but overall I'm doing pretty good. Although I'm not walking as much as I should. I haven't walked to the store at all in April. I guess I'd better get busy!

I'm sure you all memorized my changes but here they are just in case you forgot:

January - Walk to the store at least once a week instead of driving. Bring cloth bags to avoid the plastic or paper choice.
February - Keep heater off unless it gets below 65 in my apartment.
March - Quit drinking diet coke.
April - Use less water. I think I've done best with this one. I'm paying attention every time I turn on the water and am not letting it run any longer than necessary.

I'm planning to continue with the changes and hopefully start some others. There are a couple of things that I'm not doing now, like using paper towels, because money is so tight. When that isn't the case (hopefully soon!) we'll see if I can maintain those changes!

I think the important part of this, at least for me, was making me aware of what I do. Like most of us, I tend to do things the easy way and not think about the impact on the environment, other people and myself. It's good to think. Painful sometimes, but good!

The picture doesn't really have anything to do with the post but it seemed like an Earth Day type of picture. I'm not sure where it was taken - it's one of my daughter's pictures that I stole. Well I guess it isn't stealing, it's on my computer! Anyway if you read this Jill maybe you can tell me where the picture was taken. I thought it was nice!

2 comments:

jet said...

That is a picture from Struve Slough, located in Watsonville, CA!

robin michelle said...

Thank you sweetie. It's a nice picture!