Tuesday, April 6, 2010

No Sacrifice

I spent Easter at my sister's house and a conversation we had started me thinking. My nephew is 13, an age not noted for kindness to one's siblings and we were telling him he should be nice to his sisters. He wanted to know why and someone said jokingly that maybe he'd need a kidney one day. He scoffed at the thought that he'd give or receive one from his sisters and informed his mother and I that we wouldn't do it either. My sister and I both replied that of course we would. I realized that it wouldn't occur to me to question that one of my siblings would give me a kidney if circumstances warranted it. Certainly I would give them one without hesitation.

I wonder if that's true for the majority of siblings? If you have siblings would you give them a kidney? Would you have to think about it? Maybe an even harder question, would you ask? I'm fairly close to both my sisters and my brother but does that make a difference? I'm just curious what other people think about this.

Now it's possible my other sister and brother may read this and think I'm delusional to believe this. I would be surprised though. And despite his scoffing, I suspect that one day my nephew will feel the same way about his sisters.

I'm the oldest - the cute one at the top in the picture! I think this was taken at or near Easter in 1963.

2 comments:

Peruby said...

Beautiful photo!

Hmmm. I guess I never really thought about the kidney thing. I'd say "yes, we would."

robin michelle said...

Thank you - I really like that picture!

I know, I hadn't thought about it before either. I just felt a little surprised how certain I felt about the answer being "well of course." I'm glad your family would also!