Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Robert Hershon

Robert Hershon was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. He is the author of eleven books of poetry including Calls from the Outside World and The German Lunatic. I suspect that any of us with adult children can see ourselves in this poem.


Sentimental Moment Or Why Did The Baguette Cross The Road?


Don’t fill up on bread
I say absent-mindedly
The servings here are huge


My son, whose hair may be
receding a bit, says
Did you really just
say that to me?


What he doesn’t know
is that when we’re walking
together, when we get
to the curb
I sometimes start to reach
for his hand


Robin, the lonely blog mistress (the only person who gave me feedback said they liked this & since I do, I guess I'll stick with it)

2 comments:

stexeira said...

Oh I love that poem. It makes me think of Aaron.

Anonymous said...

I should amend my statement to say anyone with children can relate. They pull away early & actually teenagers even more than adult children - at least adults will humor you sometimes!