Thursday, June 5, 2008

BANNED BOOKS AGAIN!!



Hello all you fellow blog readers first of all i wanted to state this is not RMT. You have to guess who this is and Robin you cant tell them! I just wanted to post about the banned books and give you the info i have about it (which isn't much). So I'm probably just going to ramble so here's the list of banned books Ive read:

*Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

* Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

*I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

* James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

*Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George

* Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

*Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig

*Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

*Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Most of these books were banned for political, religious, or sexual and social reasons. Here's a list of other books that were banned but not on your list:

*The Lorax by: Dr. Seuss Banned in the Laytonville, Ca School District on grounds that the book "criminalizes the forestry industry."

* A Wrinkle in Time by: Madeline L'Engle was one of the 1990's most-challenged children's authors. This book was banned because it "challenges religious beliefs"

* Harry Potter by: J. K. Rowling All 4 Harry Potter books have been banned for their depictions of "magic, sorcery, wizardry, witchcraft, Satanism, occult, and sheer evil".

*Black Beauty by: Anna Sewell Banned in South Africa in 1955 because of the title, even though the book is about a horse

*The Giverby: Lois Lowry A Newbery Award winner, this book was banned for "sexually explicit and occult themes, violence, and references to euthanasia." A quick note Little House on the Prairie was banned because it was considered "racially offensive". I also wanted to point out how contrary this is that Fahrenheit 451 by: Ray Bradbury was banned for being "dangerous", the book is set in the future, when all books are banned and people called 'firemen' enforce the laws against them. 451 degrees is the temperature that paper catches fire. Explain to me how you can ban a book about book banning?? Sorry I'm a little late about the whole thing but i figure better late than never. So i want to challenge all of you to read one list one the banned list and tell us what its about why was it banned? Is it inappropriate? In what way?


Here's a link to the top challenged books of 2007 http://www.lita.org/ala/pressreleases2008/may2008/penguin.cfm

Have you read them yet?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice - thanks for the post! The Lorax! Amazing, I hadn't heard that one. I have seen other lists that show A Wrinkle in Time. That is one of my favorite books! The one that always gets me is Catcher in the Rye. I thought it was pretty stupid & never understood why you'd bother banning it. I wouldn't have read it except I had to in high school. Oh well. Guess I better get busy reading! I wonder if anyone has ever banned LOTR? Probably.