Monday, June 16, 2008

A Birthday Party for Our Friend Jessie

Well, I had intended to spend today's blog posting writing about something from recent trip to Central Europe that was a bit  more upbeat than the previous posting. Instead, however, I am going to write a bit about the party that Kiko and I had at our house this past Saturday evening. 

As some of you no doubt know, I am very fond of having parties at my house, and Kiko and I try to have one at least once per quarter. This party was to celebrate the birthday of my friend Jessie, whom I've known, now for about six or seven years. Jessie and I dated for a few months some time before I got together with Kiko, but, like most sensible women, she got out while she could. We have, of course, stayed dear friends ever since. Here's a picture of Jessie.

Now Jessie is a very artistic person (in addition to being a therapist who works with deaf and hearing impaired substance abusers) and has been involved in the dance and music community for years. And, not surprisingly, many of her friends are as well. Needless to say, by the end of the evening, there were several guitars out, a cello, singers and dancers. Our small living room was sorely tested. Here is a picture of some of the dancers.

We ate lots of Thai food, at Jessie's request, and Jessie's sister Alana made two cakes (that is what Alana does, make cakes). All in all, it was a really fun evening. I even made a new best friend by the end of the evening, Isaac. Here is a picture of Isaac (she's a girl in case you can't tell). Isaac is looking for work if anybody knows of anything. I couldn't quite get out of her what exactly it is she does, so I'm assuming that anything would be acceptable. 
Well that's it for now. Kiko is sound asleep (she has to get up at 5:30), so I should probably stop making so much noise typing. I'll see you all next Monday (if not sooner) with an even more interesting post. Maybe then I'll get around to telling you more about my trip to Central Europe. And then maybe a post about the rest of our trips planned for this year (has anybody out there been to Ushuaia?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like an exciting party. Do your friends know that you've plastered them all over the Internet?

I don't even know where Ushuaia is. Actually I've never heard of it. Ok, I know now - it is the capital of Tierra del Fuego. See how I saved everyone else from looking it up on Google.

Did you know that for most of the first half of the 20th century, the city was centered around a prison for serious criminals. The Argentine government set up this prison following the example of the British with Australia or the French with Devil's Island. There is a railway to the settlement which is now a tourist attraction called The End of the World Train.

This is actually sounding pretty cool. If you ride the train you can have champagne and dinner. There you go - I've planned your trip for you!