Thursday, September 30, 2010

Spy Stuff

I've shared many things about myself on this blog but there's one thing that I think I've neglected to mention. I want to be a spy. Seriously, really, truly I've always wanted to be a spy. I suppose that isn't so unusual, I'm sure a lot of people do. When I was young I read Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh. I think that's what started my spy fantasies. As I got older it became clear that I probably wasn't going to fulfill that particular ambition. But new hope arose after reading the Mrs. Pollifax mysteries by Dorothy Gilman. Mrs. Pollifax is an older woman who ends up becoming a spy for the CIA. But life takes us down many pathways. Um sorry, I was getting caught up in my rhetoric. Anyway I never have become a spy but yesterday, for the third (and probably final) time, hope once again sprang up.

I attended a Career Fair at Sacramento State as part of my job. There were a lot of organizations present, including the FBI, police depts, etc. The one which interested me was, you guessed it, the CIA. I surreptitiously took one of their pens, a brochure and an unidentified object. Ok, they were giving them out, I really didn't snitch them! This was in the morning and, as you can imagine, quite made my day. I didn't think it could get any better. It does though!

The Career Center sponsoring the fair kindly provided lunch for exhibitors so around noon I decided to have some. I was sitting at a table chatting with some women who were interested in solar cooking and being the exemplary employee I am, I was sharing information with them. Another woman joined us at the table and to my delight, turned out to work for the CIA. As you can imagine, everyone (including me) lost interest in solar cooking and started asking her questions. I asked if there was an upper age limit for joining. You can all see where this is heading I assume. There is but only for certain positions. Then I asked if they ever hired old, out-of-shape, history majors. She kindly said they hired all kinds of people.

Once again, my hopes have been raised. Perhaps it isn't too late. I can follow in the footsteps of Harriet and Mrs. Pollifax. And George Smiley, Kim Philby (yes I am aware he defected), Gabriel Allon, Sir Francis Walsingham, Jason Bourne, Mata Hari. . . well I could go on and on and on. I didn't stop with Harriet the Spy and Mrs. Pollifax. I'm a big fan of spy stories, fiction & non-fiction.

There you have my story. I'm going to start practicing spy techniques. I tried following my cats around tonight but was scratched for my troubles. Guess I'll have to find someone else to spy on. Below you can see pictures of my purloined objects. I'm not sure what the little ovalish-shaped thing is. I'm convinced it's some kind of spy tool though. Once I figure it out I'll let you know.



4 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

so, it was a job fair...did you apply to be a spy? how can you realize your dream if the opportunity is in your face and you ignore it? even if you are above the age limit to be a spy, wouldn't it be almost as great to work in their office and get first hand info on current spy stuff? at least be CLOSE to spies? Actually know a few? Get good background info on a spy novel you will write.

Please tell me you applied.

Peruby said...

That oval thing is a spying device! THEY are spying on YOU!

Andrea said...

I LOVED Harriet the Spy and must've read it at least 5 or 6 times. My best friend and I even had spy notebooks and got SOOO in trouble for writing in them at school. haha As I recall, she made a few enemies when hers was stolen from her desk!

robin michelle said...

Carol: It would be great to work there but I'd have to live in, I think it's Virginia. I don't want to live there! I have always wanted to get close to a spy - preferably a tall, dark, handsome one!

Peruby: Oops, I didn't think about that. They probably are overhearing all my conversations. If so they're pretty bored!

Andrea: I consider my blog to be my spy notebook! Yep, Harriet wasn't too popular for awhile after her notebook was stolen.