Friday, September 3, 2010

Another painting

I was going to do a longer post but I'm tired so for now I'll just share another picture that I really like. This picture is at the Crocker Art Museum, which is one of my favorite places. It's called So Fleet the Works and was painted by Edwin Deakin in 1895. I think it has something of a romanticized sad, lonely feeling to it. When I visit the museum I stand and look at it for a long time and I feel sometimes like I'm waiting for someone to walk down the steps. Probably a beautiful woman in a long, white dress mourning a lost lover. Then again, I may be reading too much into it!

2 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I see the artist has returned to his childhood home which was abandoned years and yeas ago and has now gone to ruin.

It had been in his family for many years, but when his father died, his mother had to take them to live somewhere else.

He has returned to the home he loved and paints the pain he feels to find it uninhabitable.

robin michelle said...

That's good!