Thursday, May 6, 2010

Venturing into the Wilderness

It's a beautiful day here, although a little windy, so I thought I'd go out this morning and walk someplace different. Little did I know that I was risking life and limb. I decided to go to the American River trail near the Nimbus Fish Hatchery. I felt I was quite prepared - I had my bottle of water and my trusty iPhone. A short distance into my stroll along the path what should I see but a sign about mountain lions. Unfortunately the sign was pretty worn, I assume from people clutching it to escape the mountain lions, so it wasn't clear whether it was meant to be educational or serve as a warning.

However, being a dauntless, brave explorer I continued along the trail. It's a lovely path and it was calm and quiet for a short ways. Then I heard some odd noises and, of course, fearing it was a mountain lion, quickly moved off the pathway. Worse than a pack of mountain lions, it turned out to be a pack of bicyclists I had narrowly avoided.

Never let it be said that threat of being run down by crazed bicyclists stopped me though. Seeing a path in the wilderness I decided to take it in hopes of finding the river (which had been one of my goals in walking). Pushing through brush and treading dangerous narrow pathways I came to the edge of a cliff. Fortunately my usual rapid walking pace was slowed due to the heavy brush I had to wend my way through, otherwise I might have tumbled off said cliff. Looking down, at least a 10-mile drop, I spied the river in the distance. By this point my spirit was low due to the many hazards I'd encountered so I elected not to venture down the cliff.

Wending my way back to civilization I decided what I really needed was another book to read (yeah like I need to meet a mountain lion), so I sought out a new library (Orangevale branch) and ended my adventure safe in its small, but welcoming embrace.
 







No comments: