Saturday, May 1, 2010

Too much temptation

It was too big a temptation for me. The NaBloPoMo theme for May is Look Up. You can take this a lot of ways but the one they suggested that caught me was finding things online. So I decided I'd commit to posting everyday in May and in keeping with the theme I'll share some of the fascinating things I find in my online searching!

I have a habit when searching of ending up places I never intended. Sometimes I'll retrace my steps so I can figure out how I ended up there, generally I just chalk it up to serendipity and gleefully add to my bookmark collection. While searching for something, I have no idea what, I somehow ended up looking at epitaphs of famous people. Some of these are pretty interesting so I thought I'd share a few. (Fitzgerald's is my favorite.)

VOCATUS ATQUE
NON VOCATUS
DEUS ADERIT
Carl Jung
{Invoked or not invoked, the god is present.}

So we beat on, boats against the current,
borne back ceaselessly
into the past
- - - Great Gatsby
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald

Workers of all lands unite.
The philosophers have only
interpreted the world in various ways;
the point is to change it.
Karl Marx

Against you I will fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding, O Death!
Virginia Woolf

Cast a cold eye
On life, on death
Horseman, pass by!
William Butler Yeats

Called back.
Emily Dickinson

Steel True, Blade Straight

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Body of
B. Franklin, Printer
Like the Cover of an old Book
Its Contents turn out
And Stript of its Lettering & Guilding
Lies here. Food for Worms
For, it will as he believed
appear once more
In a new and more elegant Edition
corrected and improved
By the Author
Benjamin Franklin

Man must endure his going hence.
C. S. Lewis

The Stone the Builders Rejected
Jack London

No comments: