Saturday, March 13, 2010

Going Home

I went home today. That sounds funny doesn't it? I went to the Bay Area & visited assorted family members and it felt so much like I was home and safe and stuff was ok. Driving back to Sacramento I started (once again) thinking I'd made a mistake moving here. If you've driven on 80 to Sacramento you may have noticed there is a point where you can see the city kind of rising up out of the ground. It's my favorite view of Sacramento and when I saw it tonight I knew (once again!) that I hadn't made a mistake. Which, of course, made me start crying. (I'm a weepy little person sometimes.)

I was thinking that the cliche "home is where your heart is" does have some truth in it. I love Sacramento, I love my apt here and I don't ever, ever, ever want to move! Most of my family is in the Bay Area though. It's where I grew up, where I've spent all my adult life until now. Where my heart is and always will be. I don't have a physical home there anymore but it's still my home. But my heart is also in Sacramento. I'm making a new life here just for me (and my cats) and I love it and wouldn't change for anything. So I think that's ok. I think you can love more than one place just like you can love more than one person. And it's actually kind of nice. I was going home on my way to the Bay Area and I was going home on my way back to Sacramento.

It felt good to pull up in front of my apartment, lug all my stuff in and see my cats. I'm back home tonight and warm and safe and happy to be here. And it's good and it's going to work. Somedays you just can't say it too many times.

No comments: