Sunday, October 26, 2008

Silent (not so much) Sunday

Ok, I'm impressed.

x=2y-3
3x+y=5

I can solve the above linear equations by graphing and substitution!! I think I'm finally getting it. Hopefully you are all as impressed as I am!

I took my 1st midterm last week (there are 2, don't ask me why, I think it is a little excessive) and got 88% on it. At first I was kind of disappointed because I really wanted to do better and I studied a lot. But actually that is pretty good. I made two "dumb" mistakes that if I'd caught would have given me 93%. I expect one or two perceptive readers will note that #2 on the test was one of my dumb mistakes. On another one I just blanked out. There were only 2 people left in the class when I finished - oh well. On the other hand, out of 29 students, 13 scored 0-70%, 13 scored 70-90% and 3 were 90-100%. So in comparison with the rest of the class I did pretty good. Mind you (I like saying that), these are mostly young kids who have been studying this stuff in high school. I'm an old, senile person and I don't think that I've ever learned this. Of course since I'm senile I wouldn't remember!

I'm a little apprehensive because I looked ahead in the book and things look bad but I'm not going to worry about it now. If I think, I panic. While I was taking my test I kept getting upset and had to keep talking to myself to calm myself down. I don't think I did it out loud but I'm not sure. When I read this problem, I didn't panic though: Find three consecutive numbers whose sum is 27. I did it without any problem. I almost giggled when I finished because I was so pleased with myself.

I did good - pretty cool, huh? Ok, I have to go study some more now!

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin


Robin, the lonely (but better at math) blog mistress



4 comments:

CMTM said...

YEAH ROBIN!!

jet said...

Remember, panic should not be our first line of defense.

Deni said...

That is great...I'm rooting for ya!

Anonymous said...

Thanks everybody for the nice comments!