Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Hang My Head and Cry

As some of you may know and I believe I've mentioned in the past, I've been a Johnny Cash fan for many years. On Monday I had a message from my niece, Amanda, saying she had been to a concert the night before and they played a song in tribute to Johnny Cash. She only remembered one line and wanted to know if I could tell her what song it was. I picked up the phone to call her confident that I would have no problem. The line she remembered was I hang my head and cry. We talked for, I don't know, 3-4 minutes but I was stuck on Long Black Veil trying to remember the lines to that because that was the first thing that came to mind. Hanging up in despair and shame, I thought to myself, what song would be played in tribute to Johnny Cash? First thought, of course, was I Walk the Line. My second thought (which in my defense, once I started thinking only took about 15-20 seconds) was Folsom Prison Blues. Yep, second stanza, last line!

When I was just a baby,
My Mama told me, "Son,
Always be a good boy,
Don't ever play with guns,"
But I shot a man in Reno,
Just to watch him die,
When I hear that whistle blowin',
I hang my head and cry.

I called her back right away and said Folsom Prison Blues. She laughed and said she knew, she had looked online. So I learned a couple of things from this: I'm old and forgetful, however, I get there eventually. Also, I'm not as fast as Google. Actually I already knew that though. It struck me later that the line she remembered was appropriate given my poor memory!

Anyway just because I like to put videos in, here we have Johnny Cash singing Folsom Prison Blues:




Robin, the lonely (forgetful) blog mistress



No comments: