Thursday, December 27, 2007

Westminster Abbey

On a bitterly cold December day in London we went to Westminster Abbey. I should point out that ALL the days we were there were bitterly cold. I have never in my life been so cold and even the miles and miles and miles of walking I did failed to warm me up. Lest you think that weather-wise I'm just a spoiled SF Bay Area person, bear in mind that my traveling companions have lived in some extremely cold places & even they were freezing! Here is a picture of me freezing.

Westminster Abbey is where nearly every English monarch has been crowned since 1066. The present church was begun by Henry III in 1245 and is the final resting place of 17 monarchs. The most important monarch buried here is Elizabeth I. Since you can't take pictures inside the Abbey, I don't have any of her tomb to post but if you click on her name it will take you to a picture on the internet. Elizabeth's sister, Mary Tudor, is also buried in the same tomb. The following inscription is on the floor near the tomb: “Near the tomb of Mary and Elizabeth remember before God all those who divided at the Reformation by different convictions laid down their lives for Christ and conscience’ sake."

Mary Tudor (aka Bloody Mary) was a fervent Catholic, completely unwilling to compromise on the question of religious preference. Before being to critical of her, be aware that most people in that time (as in all times throughout history) were unwilling to compromise. After the death of her brother, Edward VI, Mary wrested the throne from the 9-day pretender, Lady Jane Grey. At first she was a popular choice but by the end of her 5 year reign, even many Catholics were unhappy with her. Throughout Mary's reign Elizabeth's life was at risk. She served as a rallying point for Protestants and unhappy Catholics who wanted to get rid of Mary. Definitely a follower of the Protestant religion, Elizabeth had a highly practical streak and would attend Mass. She was reputed to have said that England was worth a Mass. I'm sure she also felt her head was worth it. Mary had many reasons for wanting Elizabeth out of the way but fortunately never took the final step of having her executed.

Westminster Abbey contains many other tombs and treasures. The Coronation Chair where English monarchs are crowned is there. I tried to sit in it but some guards hustled me out. Actually it is roped off but you can see grafitti on it. I guess that's why they don't let you touch it!

Aside from Elizabeth's tomb - which I did not want to leave - the part of the Abbey I liked best was Poets' Corner. Some of the people buried or memorialized there include, W.H. Auden, Rudyard Kipling, Dylan Thomas, Shakespeare, William Blake, John Dryden, Lord Byron, Jane Austen, and Charles Dickens. I could continue but I think you're getting the idea.

No comments: