Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What Year Is This?

Ok, you all need to take a look at this post from iReport.com. I cannot believe that people are making such a big deal out of Palin's daughter being pregnant. I really don't know if it is hypocrisy or what but I just find it incredible. I usually don't pay much attention to stuff like this but this (probably for the obvious reason) hit a nerve. And if you don't know the obvious reason, I'm happy to share. I was an unmarried 18-year-old (more years ago than I care to remember). I don't think it meant my parents were unfit or should have the information inserted in their resume. If there are people out there, and obviously there are, who believe they have so much control over their kids that nothing like this can happen in their family, I'd suggest they - well I'll go with the trite wake up and smell the coffee. When I got pregnant, and I'm pretty sure this applies to most people, the last thing I was thinking about was whether my parents would think this was a good idea.

I'm not voting for McCain (note Sunday's post) and I don't know if Sarah Palin was the best choice or not. But I don't think that her daughter should be used against her. She is supporting her daughter at a difficult time. That is what good parents do and that is really all that matters.

A couple more things I'd like to note. Some of the comments I read said that Palin shouldn't be out campaigning but should be home taking care of her children. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say that about a male candidate. I'm starting to think this is 1948, not 2008.

And second a word of warning for people who say, my kid will never do that. Prepare yourself, that's probably the exact thing your kid is going to do in the future.

Robin, the lonely blog mistress

1 comment:

Deni said...

I'm not voting for McCain either...but my biggest beef with Palin is that, as governor of Alaska, she's supported the killing of wolves to increase caribou populations for sport hunting. She's also for oil drilling and has her head in the sand concerning global warming! I agree with your points about her daughter's pregnancy, though. And, about the "woman, stay-at-home" thing....:).