Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Highway 1 & Goat Rock Beach



















I drove up highway 1 the other day. Now this is something that many of you may not be aware of - it is VERY curvy. After a short distance I was getting nauseous (I have carsick issues). Anyway unless anyone wants to hear about how I feel when I get carsick I'll get on with the post. It is really a beautiful (although curvy) drive. When you think about it, it's pretty cool that we - well those of us in the SF Bay Area - can drive a short distance and have such spectacular views. Personally I found the Tower of London more beautiful but the views from highway 1 would definitely be in my top 10 list.

I stopped at Goat Rock Beach - I'm quite fascinated with the name of this beach - I don't know why, it just intrigues me. According to Wikipedia, the origin of the name is disputed. Supposedly in the early 20th century some goatherds used the flattop of the rock for grazing goats. I didn't see any goats and I looked pretty carefully. However, I did take some nice pictures that I thought I'd share with the loyal readers of the Texeira blog. FYI - the giant rock in the picture is goat rock. The rock with the hole in it is called Arched Rock. The picture at the bottom right showing rocks on the ground - I decided they looked like Stonehengey ruins. . .

1 comment:

stexeira said...

How cool. Goat Rock is one of my favorites beaches. I've been up there many times.