Saturday, July 19, 2008

LOTR

Today in History

1954

The first part of The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien was published in the UK. The Fellowship of the Ring begins the story of Frodo Baggins and his journey to Mordor to dispose of the One Ring. You WILL like this book! Although I'm sure you've all read it at least once?

If I had to compile a list of my favorite books it would be pretty long. But if I could only choose one book it would have to be LOTR. Even though it was published in 3 volumes it is still one story so the whole thing counts as one book. I just wanted to clarify that for everyone. I've read it, I don't know, maybe 12, 15 times? I'm not really sure. I had a plan a few years ago to reread it every December (that is when the movies came out) and I did for a couple of years. Unfortunately the last couple of years I haven't read it. I'm thinking that to make up for that I'll read it now & then again in December. Pretty clever aren't I?

If you haven't read it, I'd suggest getting a copy TODAY. I have numerous copies and am happy to lend you one if necessary (I was in a bookstore once and saw a copy of The Return of the King (wow - this copy has Vigo on the cover - I need this!) sitting by itself on a shelf. I bought it because I thought it looked lonely). Anyway it is best to buy your own copy as you'll want to re-read it often and I keep scrupulous track of how long people have my books!

Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.


Robin, the lonely blog mistress



4 comments:

Deni said...

LOTR is great, and so are the soundtracks to the movies. I have all three on CD! Maybe you should try listening to them while you reread the books :)!

stexeira said...

I've read the books a few times myself and would highly recommend that they be read every year. I prefer reading them during the summer, but December should work as well. I agree about the soundtracks, they are amazingly beautiful and evocative.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the soundtracks also but I can't listen while I read. I've never been good at listening to music while I read - I keep trying to focus on both things!

Nice start on your blog Denise - keep it up!

Deni said...

True...I think the books and soundtrack are best enjoyed separately! Thanks for the blog Feedback :)!