Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Into Great Silence

Down to the Puritan marrow of my bones, There's something in this richness that I hate. ~Elinor Wylie

I know that you all think, based on my exciting posts, that I lead a fascinating life. To perpetuate that myth, I thought I'd share with you what I did on Saturday. I watched a 2 hr 42 min movie called Into Great Silence. It is a film introducing the daily activities of the Carthusian monks of the Grande Chartreuse monastery. They live silent lives, usually speaking only once a week when they go out for a walk. There is some chanting and reading, other than that the only noise is of activities such as sawing wood and fixing food.

Throughout the film the camera periodically focuses on each monk's face for about 15-20 seconds. It is really amazing to see their faces up close and how they respond to looking into the camera for what, while it seems a very short time, must seem awfully long when a camera is pointed at you.

I have to admit that it sounds kind of boring, especially for nearly 3 hours, but it was a really good film. German filmmaker Philip Groning asked in 1984 for permission to film the monks. He was told it was to early, maybe in 10 or 15 years. Sixteen years later they were ready. Groning lived in the monastery following the monks through their daily routines.

The Grande Chartreuse monastery is located in the French Alps and is considered one of the world's most ascetic monasteries. It is the motherhouse of the Carthusian order. The Carthusian order was founded by St. Bruno in 1084. The monks in the order have no active ministry, they spend their time praying on behalf of the church and the world.

I don't feel like I'm doing a very good job of explaining the film. This review from the New York Times might give you a better idea. The review ends by saying: By the end, what you have learned is impossible to sum up, but your sense of the world is nonetheless perceptibly altered. I would agree.

I find it a moving experience to watch something like this. For me, it is partly about religion and devotion to God but also about the devotion and passion people bring to something they believe in deeply. It is about giving yourself up to something, or someone, so completely that truly nothing else matters. I am awed at the commitment the monks in this monastery have made.

A little update: Last night we had company, some friends of Jill & John's, and I mentioned having watched this movie. One of them had also seen it and enjoyed it. I was pretty excited to find someone else who liked it!

Here is a YouTube video of the trailer for the movie:


No comments: