Friday, January 11, 2008

Post-storm dampness!

It's Jill again! I'm happy to report that this latest series of storms has bequeathed about 11" of rain upon my garden. Even with the heavy clay, this means the roots of my native shrubs are happily hydrated. And let me tell you about my latest excitement - the Norcal outlet! lots of pots all very cheap - it's in San Leandro, go quickly, tarry not! I was able to get 3 huge clay pots and about 6 small to medium pots for $25! I even got a big Malaysian pot for my Western Azalea (Rhododendron occidentale). As for this plant if you're looking for seasonal excitement in a container give it a whirl. It has resided happily in a 7gallon grower's pot (the shallow type) for 6 years. I only gave it a new pot for aesthetic reasons. It displays bright Spring green new growth, fragrant and showy flowers in Summer, attractive Fall color, and pretty Winter bark. Just give it plenty of morning sun, dappled afternoon shade, and don't spray the leaves with water during Summer in the mistaken belief that you're recreating fog drip (I speak from bitter experience - powdery mildew). Let Western Bleeding Heart (Dicentra formosa) and Wild Ginger (Asarum caudatum) trail around and over the edge of the container and you've got Redwood Forest Excitement!
In other news - I just got an Ebb Tide rose. It's dormant right now, but I think we're in a for a thrill when this shrub stirs! I have several Tidytips (Layia platyglossa) in bloom right now, and still plenty of Nemophila! The Salvia involucrata and S. serpyllifolia are still bravely showing a smattering of flowers, as is the S. "California Sunset". My local hummingbird has been making regular visits, but the real hummingbird draw will be when the Ribes speciosum is going full force. There's a few little red flowers now, but this plant has amazing floriferous-ness potential. Soon there will pictures, just wait...

No comments: