Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Paris

I was wondering why Paris is called The City of Lights. According to Wikipedia, it is because it was a center of education & ideas and also early adoption of street-lights. I was hoping for a better explanation but thought I'd share that. That is pretty much all the education you're going to get out of this post. I don't know a lot about Paris or French history (I can hear everyone breathing a sigh of relief). Well actually I know about Marie Antoinette, the Revolution & France in the 16th century but I'm going to spare you all the lecture.

I never had a great desire to go to Paris but once we decided to go I started getting really excited about it. It sounded so, I don't know, French. So off we went, taking a Eurostar train from London to Paris. We went to Notre-Dame and Pere-Lachaise cemetery. We ate at a French cafe, I bought a coke that I later realized cost $5.15 and I spoke to French people who answered in English. Kiko spoke French in the cafe. She kept saying she didn't know much French but she was rattling something off. I was quite impressed until we ended up being asked to leave the cafe. Just kidding - I thought she did a great job even though I couldn't understand a word of it! We also went to a French department store which I forget the name of. It was pretty cool though. I bought some french bread there & a cookbook which is in French - I don't know why, it just seemed like the thing to do.

We walked around a LOT in the FREEZING cold and it was really amazing. Stephen got some great pictures and it really does look just like all the pictures. Weird but not surprising I guess. In London I didn't feel like I was in a foreign country but I definitely did in Paris.

This picture is of a French police station. It is funny because I took this picture of the front and then we walked around a bit & were at what I think was the back. There were a couple of policemen standing there & Stephen was going to take a picture. One of them shook his finger at him not to take the picture. He didn't do it but I think he should have gone ahead. So what if the guy had a gun. . .
I loved Paris. It felt magical. That is really the only word I can think of to describe it. And I want to go back someday!
Robin


No comments: