Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Castle in Wales

As we were planning our trip Kiko mentioned that she had gone to high school in Wales and would like to visit the school. This sounded like a nice idea & we decided to take the train to Wales and visit her old school. What she didn't say was that she had gone to school in a CASTLE! An actual castle - incredibly cool! Her old high school, Atlantic College, is housed in St. Donats castle in Llantwit Major, South Wales. St. Donats is a 13th century castle that was owned at one point by William Randolph Hearst.



Due to the excellent reputation Kiko had at school, we were given a private tour of the castle (I really like being able to say that I had a private castle tour)! It was really incredible to see so much of the interior and how the school is using it. It is pretty neat to have 21st century computers in a 13th century castle. I also like the narrow, winding steps that had rooms off of them. You can imagine people hundreds of years ago living in these rooms.


We drove around some small towns in Wales and saw lots of funny signs. You'll notice I said drove. Instead of taking the train we ended up driving which was an interesting experience. Actually "we" did not drive. Stephen did. Bear in mind that in the UK they drive on the correct side of the road unlike in the US where we drive on the wrong side. I was a bit worried about how well Stephen would drive but I have to say he did very well, you'd think he'd been doing it all his life. Unfortunately since his return to the US, he is still driving on the correct side (the UK side) of the road.


This is my penultimate post on our trip. Tomorrow I tell you about Cambridge and then I'll have exhausted the only interesting parts of my life. This means somebody else better come up with something interesting to post!

Robin

No comments: