Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Happy Birthday!

Today is my cat's 8th birthday! It's hard to believe they've been with me for eight years. Before these two found me, I was definitely not an animal person. One of the cats my daughter and her boyfriend had was having kittens and she persuaded me to adopt one. She also brought one to our place as "her" kitten. I was very quickly attached to both of them!

They are littermates and were born on the same day but quite a long time apart. Mellifera (mostly white with black cap on her head), was the first kitten born. She was born on my daughter's arm. Apparently her mother was scared and didn't know what to do. My daughter woke up and found a newborn kitten on her arm! Two more kittens were born after that and they figured that was it. They both went to work and when they came home, stumbled over a teeny kitten on the living room floor - that was Pippin (mostly black). He was definitely the runt of the litter although you'd never know it now - he weighs about 15 lbs. He's not a fat cat, just a very large one!

They have both brought so much joy to my life. I never could have imagined that two cats could bring so much happiness. They are totally spoiled and completely run my life and I'm quite happy with that! We have a party for them every year but this year it will be a day late. My daughter and her boyfriend will be here tomorrow so I've explained to Pippin & Mellifera that we will have their party tomorrow. They don't seem concerned.

Mellifera already got a special treat today. She likes to go out on the patio first thing in the morning. I don't let them out unsupervised so I have to stand by the door and watch when either one is on the patio. Consequently they usually doesn't stay out a long time. Since it was her birthday today, she got to stay out almost half an hour. I think that was just the beginning. Once Pippin gets up he'll want to go out also. Oh well. As I said, they do run my life!

About 1-1/2 - 2 months old. This was before they came to live with me.
 

I think they were about six months old here.

Mellifera on the bench on the patio. Her favorite spot to relax!

One of Pippin's favorite spots is the top of my filing cabinet. I put a throw there to make it more comfortable.

Mellifera on the patio again!

Pippin looking adorable!

4 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Happy Birthday, kitties! I'm sure you know how wonderful you are and how much you are loved.
xx, Auntie Carol

robin michelle said...

They said thank you! They liked your comment!

Crazy Mama said...

i can tell by how you write about them that they are indeed your children...spoiled and life-controlling! lol it is good to have someone/something to love so much. :)

robin michelle said...

They are definitely my babies! Thanks Lisa!