Wednesday, December 8, 2010

December Poet: Emily Dickinson

Yeah I know that's just way too easy choosing Emily Dickinson. But it's December and I have a lot to do and lots of things to think about and my cats need attention and anyway she's one of my favorite poets!

It seems kind of pointless to share biographical info as most people know the basic stuff. Throughout the month I'm going to see what I can find that isn't as well-known. For this first post though I thought I'd share some sites that are good sources of information. 

Dickinson Electronic Archives
Poets.org page on Emily Dickinson
Emily Dickinson Museum
Emily Dickinson International Society

Since there are so many poems to choose from I thought I'd share two today. If you have a favorite please share it in a comment - I'd love to hear!


There is a pain -- so utter --
It swallows substance up --
Then covers the Abyss with Trance --
So Memory can step
Around -- across -- upon it --
As one within a Swoon --
Goes safely -- where an open eye --
Would drop Him -- Bone by Bone.


*    *    *    *    *    *

It's all I have to bring today –
This, and my heart beside –
This, and my heart, and all the fields –
And all the meadows wide –
Be sure you count – should I forget
Some one the sum could tell –
This, and my heart, and all the Bees
Which in the Clover dwell.

No comments: