Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Another Library & a short history lesson!

I haven't been doing great on finishing my library visits and now it's December and I still have 10 left. I was thinking maybe I should try and get them all in by the end of the year but decided that would make it seem like a chore. So I'll go slow and get the list finished in 2011!

Anyway I did visit a new branch on Saturday - the North Sacramento Hagginwood branch. It's a small library which is wonderful because I can look at all the books available in the subjects I'm interested in. I found an interesting book called The American River. I'm interested in reading more about the American and Sacramento rivers as they are rather prominent here! I also found a cool quilting book called Quilt Sensations.

At a minimum when I go to the library I always check the Sacramento history section, beading and quilting, mysteries, poetry and of course, Tudor history. In the Tudor history section I found Edward VI: The Lost King of England by Chris Skidmore. Edward VI was the only, much sacrificed for (at least on the part of Katherine, Anne & ok fine, Jane) son of Henry VIII. He became King on Henry's death in 1547 but died in 1553 at age 15. The book is good so far and anything on Tudor history is, of course, interesting to me. The only bothersome thing so far (I'm only 67 pgs into the book) is that in the introduction the author says "Two different strands make up Edward's reign: the personality of this Tudor king who was the most gifted of all his siblings; . . . "  I humbly (or not so humbly) beg to differ. Elizabeth was, without a doubt, the most gifted of the three Tudor children. From that belief I will never be moved! That aside I like the book so far!

Here's a couple of pictures of the library and some nearby street art.




No comments: