Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December Poet: Emily Dickinson, Pt 2

Goodness it's December 21st and I'm only on my second poetry post! This month has gone very fast it seems like. I thought I'd combine mysteries and Emily Dickinson for this post. There are two mystery books I've read that focus on her and I was sure if I searched I'd find more. Unfortunately I didn't, so this is a very short list. If anyone is aware of others please share them!

Quieter than Sleep by Joanne Dobson
Emily Dickinson is Dead by Jane Langton

Short poems again so I'm sharing three!

Tell all the Truth but tell it slant---
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise
As Lightning to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind---

* * *

I felt a cleavage in my mind
As if my brain had split;
I tried to match it, seam by seam,
But could not make them fit.
The thought behind I strove to join
Unto the thought before,
But sequence ravelled out of reach
Like balls upon a floor.

* * *

Love is anterior to life,
Posterior to death,
Initial of creation, and
The exponent of breath.

No comments: