Monday, April 7, 2008

Potato Museum

This is either interesting or weird, I'm not sure which. It is a site called The Potato Museum. The actual museum was started in Brussels in 1975. In 1993 it moved to Albuquerque, NM. The museum includes pictures, pins, books, potato artifacts - apparently anything related to the potato.

On the website you can read about the museum, see some of the exhibits, purchase potato museum apparel (seriously!), listen to spud songs, and look at the potato blog. Yes, Virginia, there is a potato blog.

As some of you may know, I have a small problem with magazines. Ok, it is sort of a large problem but to get to the point, I have a theory that there is a magazine for every interest. I've extended this theory to blogs. No matter how weird your interest I'm betting we can find a blog on it. If anyone wants to test this theory, feel free to send me your weird interest & I'll find you a blog. Just as a warning, I'll probably add your interest to my 100th posting list (which is fairly short still).

As proof of my magazine/blog theory I just found a link on the potato museum site to a site called Spudman Magazine (yes, online magazines count), the voice of the potato industry. I really love the Web!

If you have nothing better to do, or even if you do, check out the potato museum. In thinking about potatoes I'm wondering something. In Gone With The Wind, Scarlett is working in the field and digging something up. Was it potatoes? Does anyone know? Ok, answered my own question - it was a turnip. This is the scene where she says, "As God as my witness, I'll never be hungry again." Sorry about that - just a small detour!

Robin

2 comments:

stexeira said...

Speaking of potatoes. There is a Potato Institute somewhere in South America. I don't remember exactly where. About 20 years ago there was a Wall Street Journal article that talked about a strike there. Apparently the workers (not the scientific staff) were unhappy with some of their working conditions, and they took over the buildings. As the strike continued past a few days, and no progress was made, the workers played their trump and began eating the potatoes. Some of these were rare varieties of potato that didn't exist anywhere else in the world, of course, so the strike ended pretty quickly. I've always wondered about the veracity of that news stories, until about three years ago. My dear friend Karen met a guy and began dating him. Bill, as it turns out, is a potato researcher at UC Berkeley -- really. I asked him about the Potato Institute and the strike and not only did he confirm that it happened, but he added that it happened more frequently than anybody was aware. Apparently more varieties of potato are lost to hungry workers than to anything else.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.