Saturday, October 2, 2010

Banned Books Quiz

Banned Books Week is September 25 - October 2. I've been tweeting information about it and am finally getting around to doing a blog post. Instead of giving you information about banned books that you can easily find online, I decided to give you a quiz instead. All the quotes are from a book that was banned at one time. How many can you identify? If you click on the quote you'll find out if you're right!
  1. Good heavens, woman! This is a war, not a garden party!
  2. He was a killer, a thing that preyed, living on the things that lived, unaided, alone, by virtue of his own strength and prowess, surviving triumphantly in a hostile environment where only the strong survive.
  3. It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.
  4. I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library.
  5. How can you frighten a man whose hunger is not only in his own cramped stomach but in the wretched bellies of his children? You can't scare him--he has known a fear beyond every other.
  6. I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
  7. Give sorrow words: the grief that does not speak, Whispers the o'er-fraught heart, and bids it break. 
  8. Adventures do occur, but not punctually.
  9. No, Meg. Don't hope it was a dream. ... don't have to understand things for them to be. 
  10. In the long run, the sharpest weapon of all is a kind and gentle spirit.

3 comments:

Peruby said...

I'm lame. I only go the first one. :(

robin michelle said...

Ah but that's one of the best! I so wanted to be Scarlett O'Hara. I was defeated by the 17=inch waist!

Peruby said...

Yeah, I'm lucky if I have a 17-inch neck! LOL!