Monday, December 1, 2008

The Long, Lonely Road




The picture above is the road between Puerto Natales in Chile and El Calafate in Argentina. The five-hour bus ride went over maybe a total of two miles of paved roads. The remainder were like this. Beautiful, barren and bumpy. For those of you who, when you think of Patagonia, imagine long, lonely stretches of open plains, that's about it. There are a few scattered towns, but for the most part, the southern and central regions of Patagonia look very much like the picture above. There are, of course, the snow-capped Andes, but other than that, pretty flat. If you are interested in seeing more of my photos from our trip to South America, visit my photography page and click on the Vacations link.

I will be posting additional photos and write ups about the trip over the next few weeks. I hope you all enjoy them.

3 comments:

robin michelle said...

I like this picture a lot. It feels like the end of the world. One way you have a few more steps to slip into the ocean. The signs should read warning, end of the world. The other way you just keep walking on that endless road to nowhere.

Very cool! I haven't looked at the other pictures yet - I will soon though.

robin michelle said...

It makes terrific wallpaper! You're famous now - your photography is featured on my computer.

stexeira said...

Cool. I'm glad that you liked it. I hope you like the others. Thanks for the note.