Sunday, February 10, 2008

Why I Can't Walk

There is a trailhead about 6 houses down from me and when we moved here I thought I could walk there everyday. Unfortunately that isn't working well. What no one told me was that the trails are populated with mad cows.

The first time I went for a walk over there Jill was with me and we saw, I don't know, 4 or 5 cows. They kept looking at me and moving closer & I was getting pretty nervous. They didn't attack but I know they were thinking about it. My plan was to push Jill toward them and run. Of course I run even slower than I walk so they probably would have caught me.

Anyway now there are even more cows and they are getting closer. As you can see in the picture there are no people around. When I first looked out & saw the cows there was a small child running up there. He disappeared, I assume into one of the cows. Admittedly I'm bigger than a small child but I think if they worked together the cows could probably eat me. I don't consider this to be farfetched, after all I've been eating cows for a number of years, I'm assuming they want revenge.

You may be asking, why can't she walk on the street? Clearly if the cows can wander around the hills they can get onto the street and come after me. So when people ask me why I can't use the trailhead, I'll direct them to this post. I think just the picture will explain it.

Robin

4 comments:

CMTM said...

Maybe if you go vegetarian they will allow you to walk their trails without devouring you....

It's a possibility.

Anonymous said...

Thanks - not a bad idea! I'll get a vegetarian badge & wear it just to be safe.

Peg said...

Robin,
You really gave me a chuckle today. Just the thought of "attack cows" makes me smile.

I grew up with cows. (I was not raised by them, no matter what you hear.) But, having been trapped in the city for a number of years, I've been absolutely astounded by how outraged people are at seeing a dog off leash in a park, even my little 10 lb poodle!

Oh Gawd! How I'd love to see them navigate a herd of cows!

(Thanks for the link, btw, to Robin Morgan's Essay. It is a very powerful piece, isn't it?)

Best regards!
Peg

Anonymous said...

Thanks Peg! Sorry not to respond sooner, I'm behind in reading comments! I'm always astonished at how large cows & horses look to me, I guess you have to get used to them. I did love the essay, it really made me (and I hope other people) think! Take care.