Monday, January 23, 2012

A Year with Hammarskjold

Many, many years ago at a bookstore in San Francisco, I bought a book called Markings by Dag Hammarskjold. Hammarskjold was a Swedish diplomat who served as UN Secretary-General from 1953-1961. After his death, the manuscript for Markings was found in his home along with a letter explaining that it was a diary that he'd begun without thought of it being public. As his fame increased he realized the possibility that it would become public but continued to write for himself. He called it "a sort of white book concerning my negotiations with myself - and with God."

Over the years I've read and re-read Markings numerous times. It is one of my favorite books. I realized recently that I know very little about Hammarskjold aside from the basics and, of course, what is revealed in Markings, so I've started reading a very long biography called Hammarskjold by Brian Urquhart. It's a good book - I'm only about 1/3 of the way through as it's slow reading but I'm enjoying it.

To change the subject a little (although you'll see how this ties together), over the last year I've been reading a blog called A Year With Rilke. The blog authors were posting excerpts from a book of the same name. This gave me an idea! As you've probably guessed, my idea is to do A Year With Hammarskjold. I'm going to post excerpts from Markings and provide some biographical information. I'm only going to do this once a week though, not daily. Monday seems as good a day as any so I'll make Monday Hammarskjold day. And here's the first entry!

Dag Hammarskjold was born in Sweden July 29, 1905. He was born into a family with a long tradition of public service which he was to continue. On the influence of his parents he said:  "From generations of soldiers and government officials on my father's side I inherited a belief that no life was more satisfactory than one of selfless service to your country - or humanity. This service required a sacrifice of all personal interests, but likewise the courage to stand up unflinchingly for your convictions. From scholars and clergymen on my mother's side, I inherited a belief that, in the very radical sense of the Gospels, all men were equals as children of God, and should be met and treated by us as our masters in God."

And here's this week's quote from Markings:

Only tell others what is of importance to them. Only ask them what you need to know. In both cases, that is, limit the conversation to what the speaker really possesses. Argue only in order to reach a conclusion. Think aloud only with those to whom this means something. Don't let small talk fill up the time and silence except as a medium for bearing unexpressed messages between two people who are attuned to each other. A dietary for those who have learned by experience the truth of the saying, "For every idle word..." But hardly popular in social life.

This is one of my favorite quotes. I hate small talk with strangers or acquaintances and I'm kind of bad at it. I think that people talk too much. I generally don't unless I'm nervous and then I tend to babble a little. A habit I'm trying to cure myself of. I like this quote so much because it expresses clearly what I feel about conversation. Too often people aren't really listening to one another, they are talking just to talk. When I feel that the person I'm talking to isn't listening I usually stop talking. I suppose that's a little egotistical actually. I don't know. Anyway let me know if you like the quote!



Last but not least! You may have noticed that my links are to Goodreads. I never finished my reading challenges last year so this year I've decided to do something different. I'm tracking the books I read on Goodreads and I've done a personal challenge for myself to read 150 books this year. If you are on Goodreads or join, please send me a friend request - I love to see what other people are reading and maybe something I'm reading or have read will sound good to you!

2 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

No, I don't like the quote. I enjoy talking and I enjoy chatting with strangers, even in small talk. Friendly conversation, but only with those that are receptive to it. But that's what it's all about. Different strokes, you know.
xx, Carol

robin michelle said...

I kind of thought you might not like it! Well hopefully next week I'll hit on one that resonates for you. Take care.