Wednesday, November 10, 2010

November Poetry: Kay Ryan

So I was sitting here trying to decide what to post & I thought I'd post a poem. Then I came up with a very clever idea: I'll do a different poet each month and share their poems and information about them! Clever isn't it? Ok, maybe I need to get out more. Anyway I decided November would be Kay Ryan.

Kay Ryan is a California poet, born in San Jose and currently living in Marin County. In 2008 she became the 16th Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress and held the post until May of this year. I like her poetry a lot. It's funny, serious and witty. She packs a lot into mostly short poems. They are easy to remember but often require multiple reading to get the point. This is one of my favorites. Mellifera (the most beautiful cat in the world) was sitting on my lap so I read it to her. I'm sorry to say she was unimpressed although it mentions cats.

A Cat/A Future

A cat can draw
the blinds
behind her eyes
whenever she
decides. Nothing
alters in the stare
itself but she's
not there. Likewise
a future can occlude:
still sitting there,
doing nothing rude.

3 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I like this poet feature.

I'm sure that Mellifera was impressed. She just had that typical cat "guess what I am thinking" look.

I see why you like this poem. Wouldn't be wonderful if there really were seers that could tell us what comes next?

Andrea said...

Sounds a little like meditation. :)

robin michelle said...

Thanks Carol - I'm glad you like the idea! I go back and forth on wishing I knew the future. Mostly I think I wouldn't want to - I'm afraid it would be depressing!

I agree Andrea!