Monday, April 13, 2009

National Library Week

April 12-18 is National Library Week. This is an annual event to celebrate the contributions of libraries and librarians. The theme for 2009 is Worlds connect @ your library.

Libraries are very good places. I'm telling you this in case you haven't been to one in awhile. Did any of you read From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler? I don't want to tell you much about it because I know you are all rushing to your local library to check it out. Anyway the two kids in the story run away & hide out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. While I've never been there, I have to agree it would be a pretty cool place to hide out but far, far better, in my mind would be a library. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be hiding out in a library? When I was studying I would occasionally go to the CSU library. I say occasionally because it isn't really a very effective place for me to study. All those books distract me!

I love libraries and can tell you the location of all the libraries in Alameda County and a few in other counties. In case you don't know where your local library is (please don't tell me if you don't, it would cause me a lot of pain), you can check the Libraries on the Web site and find one.

I've heard rumors that the economy isn't doing so great lately. Libraries are still one of the best values around. A free card and you can check out any book you want. Bookstores are great but not free! So if you have nothing better to do, or even if you do, spend an hour or two this week at a library. If you're an adult and haven't been in awhile you may be surprised at the changes!

No comments: