Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Very Sad

I just heard tonight that Stacey's bookstore in San Francisco has announced that they will be closing in March. In business since 1923, the growth of on-line bookstores (can we say Amazon) and the declining economy, is forcing them to close. First Cody's, now Stacey's. This is very sad.

Sad for a couple of reasons. Many, many, many years ago I used to work in downtown San Francisco. I hated my job. The only good part of it was going out at lunchtime and browsing in bookstores. There were a good number of new & used bookstores within walking distance of my office. Stacey's was one of them and I spent many lunch hours there looking and occasionally buying. I still have books that I bought there. I think the last time I was at Stacey's was about 2 years ago but it makes me feel like I'm losing something to hear that they are closing.

I admit it - I shop at Amazon. You can find just about anything, it's easy, convenient, no sales tax, cheaper prices. Ok, I'll just say it - I love Amazon. I can spend hours going through the list of recommendations & adding to my wishlist. But I also love bookstores. Online is great but it can't beat browsing, picking up a book to flip through it, finding something you didn't know you wanted (although that happens w/Amazon!) and just being in a building surrounded by books. My personal idea of heaven.

While retail sales over Christmas in stores declined this year, according to this data from Compete, on-line sales increased. I think it was inevitable that physical stores would fail as more people shop on-line. Again, it's easy, convenient, etc., etc. You can buy books, groceries, furniture, pretty much anything you want online. All without leaving your computer.

Life changes whether we want it or not. I don't know that it's good or bad - it just is. But tonight I feel like I'm losing something important. I'm afraid that 20 years from now I'll be saying things like, I remember when there were actual, physical bookstores you could walk into. And it will be ancient history for some people. That's sad.

Robin, the lonely (and sad) blog mistress


No comments: