Monday, February 1, 2010

One Small Change Update

My One Small Change for January was to walk to the store and use cloth bags. I did pretty good but not as well as I could have. Where I would normally have driven, I walked to the store three times, to the post office once and to the library once. I did use cloth bags every time I went to the store (and library). There were definitely times I could have walked and I didn't. I used rain as an excuse but it really isn't a very good one. I have a big umbrella and as my mother used to say, you aren't sugar, you won't melt in the rain.

I felt a little disappointed in myself but when I thought about it actually it isn't so bad. This was a pretty major change for me and I did do it so I think I'm mostly pleased!

February could be a disaster though. I was desperately trying to think what to do and came up with a great idea. I'm just not sure I can do it! I'm going to keep my heater off unless it gets below 65 in my apartment. I generally keep things pretty warm, partly because I have sinus problems and getting cold makes it worse. Also I think it's kind of a habit just to turn the heater up. Instead of putting on a sweater or moving around I just turn on heat. I'm sure some people reading this are laughing now but seriously this is hard for me. It's kind of weird but I get stressed when I get cold. I'm not sure why and 65 really isn't cold but it feels like it to me. Lest you think I'm completely awful, I should say that I never leave it on at night.

I think this is a very good change for me and an added benefit should be a lower utility bill. So that's February. Hopefully I won't be an icicle at the end of the month!


4 comments:

Peruby said...

Yeah, that's cold. I did 67 for a couple of weeks, but I am back to 69 on the thermostat now. Good luck!

robin michelle said...

I'm so glad someone else thinks that's cold! Thanks for the good wishes, I'll need them all!

Andrea said...

I've been trying to keep mine at 63but some evenings that's just too chilly so I turn on a little electric space heater just to warm my toes. My programmable t-stat goes back to 55 from 10pm - 6am and 60 during the day when I'm at work. When all else fails, HOT TEA...LOTS OF IT. Best Wishes. :)

robin michelle said...

Thanks for the reminder - I have a little space heater buried in a shed. I think I need to dig it out!