Monday, September 28, 2009

Musical Monday

I was never a big Beatles fan. Partly I suppose because I was a little young when they first became popular. By the time I was old enough to listen to music I was kind of dorky and listened to The Partridge Family, The Carpenters and, well I could go on but you probably get the idea! My daughter, for some reason became a Beatles fan when she was a teenager and can still recite lyrics and details that probably even The Beatles have forgotten. Because of this I found that many of the songs I had listened to as a teenager were sung by The Beatles and also that I completely misheard most of the lyrics.

My favorite example is Paperback Writer. I always thought the song was saying "take the back right turn" instead of "paperback writer." It really made no sense to me but then a lot of songs don't. I don't remember if my daughter was listening to the song or singing it or what but I said I thought it was "take the back right turn." I'm half-way surprised that she corrected me rather than encouraging me to tell other people! This was quite a few years ago that I was enlightened as to the correct words, but she still likes to tell total strangers what a dork her mother is. I'm sure it's done out of love though. I think. Anyway, for today's Musical Monday we have The Beatles singing what else but Paperback Writer! And lest any of you are blessed with my hearing, the lyrics follow.







Paper back writer (paperback writer)
Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book?

It took me years to write, will you take a look?

It's based on a novel by a man named Lear

And I need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer,

Paperback writer.


It's the dirty story of a dirty man
And his clinging wife doesn't understand.

His son is working for the Daily Mail,

It's a steady job but he wants to be a paperback writer,

Paperback writer.


Paperback writer (paperback writer)

It's a thousand pages, give or take a few,

I'll be writing more in a week or two.

I can make it longer if you like the style,

I can change it round and I want to be a paperback writer,

Paperback writer.


If you really like it you can have the rights,
It could make a million for you overnight.

If you must return it, you can send it here

But I need a break and I want to be a paperback writer,

Paperback writer.


Paperback writer (paperback writer)

Paperback writer - paperback writer
Paperback writer - paperback writer

4 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

For some reason, I've never been able to openly admit that I was never much of a Beatles fan. Herman's Hermits for me. I adored Peter Noone and Sixteen Magazine.

It was interesting to gaze at the words to Paperback Writer. Especially since I always thought the words were Paperback Rider. There, my Beatle knowledge is out in the open. Thanks, Michelle:)

Peruby said...

Always one of my favorite links:

http://www.kissthisguy.com/

Misheard lyrics. It is good for laughs!

Peruby said...

Maybe you posted this one:

http://www.kissthisguy.com/4267misheard.htm

If not, somebody else heard the same lyric you did :

Take the back right turn.

robin michelle said...

Michelle: I remember reading Sixteen magazine! I don't remember how old I was but it was younger than 16 & I thought I was quite grown-up because of it. Peter Noone was kind of cute but I loved Davy Jones! Well you were closer w/Paperback Rider than I was!

Peruby: That wasn't me on kissthisguy but I love that someone else heard the same thing! Thanks for the link - I've never seen that site.