Friday, September 11, 2009

First lines from novels

This is an interesting list from Pantograph.com of 100 best first lines from novels. These particular ones were decided by the American Book Review. I don't know what criteria they used to come up with this list. In thinking about books I like a lot of them don't start with a great first line so I couldn't use that to decide. I think for me a good first line is one that draws you in and makes you want to hear more. Something that opens up the sense of another world, of adventure. Some of those on the 100 best list fit that description but I don't think they all do.

Here are a few of my favorite first lines:

I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills. (Out of Africa)

Somewhere in la Mancha, in a place whose name I do not care to remember, a gentleman lived not long ago, one of those who has a lance and ancient shield on a shelf and keeps a skinny nag and a greyhound for racing. (Don Quixote)

Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away. (From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler)

Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream. (Cannery Row)

The Mole had been working very hard all the morning, spring-cleaning his little home. (The Wind in the Willows)

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton. (Lord of the Rings)

Mr. Sherlock Holmes, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table. (Hound of the Baskervilles)

So what are some of your favorite first lines?

3 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

When I was younger, I use to record all my favorite first lines from songs.

Choosing from a novel the only one I can think of is...

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. Anna Karenina

robin michelle said...

Cool idea of recording the song lines! I like your novel line - it's one of those books I always mean to read. Maybe someday!

~~louise~~ said...

It's been too long for me Robin.

I've been mulling over reading it again. It's such a time consuming book. I'm not sure I have the time to devote the attention it deserves.