Thursday, May 21, 2009

Poetry Day

Another poem by Louise Gluck for you. I was going to have a consistent schedule for posting stuff & I think Wednesday was supposed to be Poetry Day. Since this blog is called Random Ramblings I guess it is ok to do things randomly.

I like this poem a lot. I realized just now in reading it that we can only heal ourselves. Other people can't do it for us. And sometimes all you can do is accept that people & situations are the way they are and move on. Profound today aren't I?

Seated Figure

It was as though you were a man in a wheelchair,
your legs cut off at the knee.
But I wanted you to walk.
I wanted us to walk like lovers,
arm in arm in the summer evening,
and believed so powerfully in that projection
that I had to speak, I had to press you to stand.
Why did you let me speak?
I took your silence as I took the anguish in your face,
as part of the efforts to move ---
It seemed I stood forever, holding out my hand.
And all that time, you could no more heal yourself
than I could accept what I saw.
~ Louise Gluck

2 comments:

TinaWess said...

Hi there,
I have started a Haiku day at my blog. Please feel free to stop by and share some poetry of your own.
Enjoying your blog!
~Christina

robin michelle said...

Thanks Christina. I love your blog & may show up w/a haiku for you one of these days!