Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Execution of Anne Boleyn

19 May 1536 at 8 o'clock in the morning Anne Boleyn, the second wife of Henry VIII was executed. It was the first public execution of an English queen. Following is the speech she made:

Good Christian people, I am come hither to die, for according to the law, and by the law I am judged to die, and therefore I will speak nothing against it. I am come hither to accuse no man, nor to speak anything of that, whereof I am accused and condemned to die, but I pray God save the king and send him long to reign over you, for a gentler nor a more merciful prince was there never: and to me he was ever a good, a gentle and sovereign lord. And if any person will meddle of my cause, I require them to judge the best. And thus I take my leave of the world and of you all, and I heartily desire you all to pray for me. O Lord have mercy on me, to God I commend my soul.

After being blindfolded and kneeling at the block, she repeated several times:
To Jesus Christ I commend my soul; Lord Jesu receive my soul.



2 comments:

The Anne Boleyn Files said...

RIP Anne. What a beautiful speech she gave - so courageous and dignified, even though she knew she was completely innocent of all charges. Archbishop Cranmer also said a beautiful line, when he heard the cannons go off to tell of her death:-
"She who has been the Queen of England on earth will today become a Queen in Heaven"

Thanks for you blog post.

robin michelle said...

It really was a great speech. I love the for a gentler nor a more merciful prince was there never part. Pretty ironic!

Thanks so much for your comment and a chance to look at your great blog! I've added you to my reader so I can keep up w/your posts. Anne is definitely my favorite of Henry's queens!