Saturday, March 1, 2008

Mission Cat

As I mentioned in yesterday's post (which I'm sure you've all memorized), I went to Salinas yesterday. Before Salinas I had visited Mission Nuestra Senora de la Soledad. Soledad is the 13th mission in the 21 mission chain that runs from Sonoma to San Diego. It was named for our Lady of Solitude, which is another name for Mary.


I like this mission because it is a ways off the highway & not sitting in the middle of a busy city as some of them are. You can get a much better sense of what it must have been like to live in the mission era here than you do at other missions.It's very quiet and peaceful there, I think I saw maybe 6 other people during my visit. It isn't the best mission to visit during the summer as there is little shade and it gets pretty hot down there. The end of February is a nice time though. Yesterday was a beautiful day and I could see for miles around because it was so clear.

Two interesting things happened to me at the mission. First I made a friend and second I believe I convinced someone I was crazy. As I was looking around the gift shop I heard a meow & turning saw a cat sitting on the counter. This was not just any cat but a Pippin cat! (That means he looks like my cat Pippin.) And not just some faint resemblance - this cat could have been his twin, although he was smaller than Pippin. Anyway he really liked me and let me hold him and started purring and licking my hand. The woman who worked at the gift shop didn't seem to be much of a cat lover but was tolerating him. I kept saying how much he looked like my cat and I was so amazed at the resemblance that I opened my wallet & showed her a picture of Pippin. Now you all know my big secret; I carry pictures of my cats in my wallet. Don't spread it around. Anyway she looked at the picture, smiled politely and said she guessed that was why the cat was so attracted to me. I'm pretty sure she was thinking something along the lines of, "when will this fruitcake leave?" I think that my taking pictures of the cat pretty well confirmed her estimation of my sanity.

Above is a picture of the mission cat & below is a picture of Pippin. He does have white paws also, just like the mission cat. I'm pretty sure they are related!

2 comments:

jet said...

It was actually named "Nuestra Senora Dolorisima de la Soledad" "Our Most Sorrowful Lady of Solitude" This refers to the Virgin after the Crucifixion when She is alone and mourning the death of Her son.

Anonymous said...

Smart ass.