Friday, September 21, 2012

I saw the shuttle!

The space shuttle Endeavour flew over Sacramento this morning as part of its tour around California before it settles into a permanent home at the California Science Center. They said it would circle the Capitol at about 1500 ft. I really had no idea how low 1500 ft was! It was amazingly close and easy to see as it circled the Capitol twice.

There were a lot of people out watching. It was scheduled to arrive about 9:30 but it was actually 9:50 by the time it arrived. I got there about 9:00 - I had meant to come early and get a good parking place. Unfortunately I was lazy but it wasn't too bad. It took me about 15 minutes of looking but I found a lot to park in that was only about three blocks away. So here's some of my pictures. I thought they came out pretty good, especially considering I could hardly see where I was pointing because of the sun. It was very cool to actually see the shuttle though - the pictures don't do it justice.

The first two pictures show a little of the crowds that were there. This was just in the small section I was in. I was across from the Capitol Park and in the park there were hundreds more people. I have no idea who the dinosaurs are or where they were going. It was a cool picture though! Pictures 3-7 show the shuttle, you might have to enlarge them to see it easily. The last three are close-ups I got from cropping. They are blurry but not bad. It was a fun way to start my day! 















No comments: