Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Banned Books Week

My goodness I almost forgot that it's Banned Books Week -September 24 - October 1! Banned Books Week was launched in 1982 in response to increased book challenges, Banned Book Week is now an annual event. Since 1982, more than 11,000 books have been challenged.

If you feel like reading a banned book, below is a short list to get you started. These are all classics which have been repeatedly banned. If you're interested in the reason why they were banned, you can read about it here. There are a number of my favorite books on this list. What are some of your favorite banned books?

The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
The Color Purple, by Alice Walker
Ulysses, by James Joyce
Beloved, by Toni Morrison
The Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
1984, by George Orwell
 Lolita, by Vladmir Nabokov
 Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
 Catch-22, by Joseph Heller
 Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
 Animal Farm, by George Orwell
 The Sun Also Rises, by Ernest Hemingway
 As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner
 A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway
 Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston
 Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison
 Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison
 Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
 Native Son, by Richard Wright
 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey
 Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
 For Whom the Bell Tolls, by Ernest Hemingway
 The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
 Go Tell it on the Mountain, by James Baldwin
 All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren
 The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

4 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

There are more than several on the list that I have read and enjoyed. A couple I never heard of, and a couple I didn't like. Now I'm off to see why someone didn't want me to read them. I have some good guesses about several. I'll see if I am right.

robin michelle said...

I never liked Catcher in the Rye. I know it's supposed to be good but it just never appealed to me. It's interesting to read about why they were banned though.

One that I didn't include on this list but I've seen on banned lists is Little Women. One of my all time favorite books and I don't know why it would be considered offensive!

Peruby said...

I "stole" the list and will download most of these to my nook to either re-read or read for the first time.

Great list!

It amazes me - the banning. The stupidity, the fear.

robin michelle said...

Oh good - that should keep you busy for quite a while anyway!