Friday, August 12, 2011

One Thing Everyday That Scares Me

I finished a book last night called Franklin and Eleanor: An Extraordinary Marriage by Hazel Rowley. I think that Eleanor Roosevelt was an amazing person and reading this just reinforced that. If you are at all interested in either of them I'd recommend reading the book.

I started thinking last night about one of the quotes I like from Eleanor Roosevelt:  Do one thing everyday that scares you. I saw a book called My Year with Eleanor by Noelle Hancock. Apparently the author took this advice for a year. I haven't read the book but it sounds like she did things like skydiving. She was considerably younger than I am.

Since I'm so old I've decided to take the advice for only a month and not jump out of any airplanes. Beginning today and for the next 30 days I'm going to do one thing everyday that scares me. Does writing that sentence count? Ok, probably not.

So today's thing that scares me that I'm going to do is not have a drink tonight. Or two for that matter. I've never been much of a drinker but the last ten months - not so coincidentally since the beginning of my on again-off again relationship with the snake - I've been drinking more than I need to. And unfortunately even more in the last few weeks. It's kind of scary to think about not doing it tonight because then I have to think and maybe cry a little and then maybe get on with my life. That's more than a little scary.

I'll probably share most of my scary things - I might as well I guess. This one was a little hard to share! Anyway wish me luck as I start this month of scaring myself!

I was going to add a picture of a vampire because they scare me but the pictures I found were just too awful. You'll have to imagine a scary picture at the end of this post!

2 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

How'd you do?
When I managed a department at the bank, I used to come home every night and have rum and coke.

Anytime we had a family get together with T's parents, I had a drink before going.

Since my father was an alcoholic, I realized since I depended on the drinks, it also classified me as an alcoholic. Since that realization, I have never had another drink.

I hope you were able to abstain, especially since it scared you not to.

Be well.
xx, Carol

robin michelle said...

Well I didn't drink last night! Rum & Coke is the same thing I drink though!

You're smart to have realized that and stopped. I guess what scares me is that I'm beginning to depend on drinking. It's a way to forget things I don't want to think about. Of course the headache in the morning isn't so great. . .

Anyway I got through last night and I'm going to get through the rest until I feel better and don't want it anymore!

Thanks for your comment. It helps to know other people have done it! Take care.