Friday, August 26, 2011

One day, one week, one month. . .

"If you knew you had only one day, or one week, or one month to live, what life boat would you grab onto? What secret would you tell? What band would you see? What person would you declare your love to? What wish would you fulfill? What exotic locale would you fly to for coffee? What book would you write?"

This is a quote from a movie called One Week about a guy who finds out he has stage 4 cancer. I haven't seen the movie, I read about it in a post on the Psychology Today blog.

The post made me cry. I don't know what I'd do if I knew I only had a day, week or month to live. I do know that I can't think of one thing I'm doing now that I'd want to continue. I'm sad about that.

How about you? What would you do and are you doing any of it now?

5 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

One Day? Not too much you can do but say your goodbyes and know that you told everyone that means anything to you how much you care about them.

I'd like to see the Bison that live in Yellowstone. To see them in their natural environment, not the zoo.

It would be selfish to gather all the money I could to travel and see what I have never seen. Finances would be important to my family if I am gone. But if I am alone...well off I would go to see what I didn't know there was. Off to die alone, like the animal that disappears and you wonder where it went......

Peruby said...

My first thought is to spend the day with my daughter, if I had a little longer - with my sisters. A week or so - daughter, siblings and friends.

I would not step foot in the office or pay a bill - that's for sure!

robin michelle said...

Carol - I rather like that -- off to die alone. I hope you get to see the bison someday!

Peruby - it'd be nice to not pay the bills or work and not die!

Thanks both of you for replying! I'm still trying to figure out what I'd do...

robin michelle said...

I've been sitting here making a list of everything I want to get done today and in the back of my mind I've been thinking, "what if today was your last day?" Because actually we never know. I hope that everyone I love knows I love them. I feel like I've spent my life doing what other people wanted so today I'd do what I want. I'd stay in my lovely, quiet apartment with my beautiful cats and I'd read. I'd stack up all my favorite books next to the couch and I'd sit and read all day. So I'm going to tear up my list and go ahead and read all day! Although I do hope this isn't really my last day!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Robin
to some, your idea of how to spend your last day would seem lackluster. But I have allowed myself, in the past, to be manipulated. Have done, or not done, what is expected of me. So I think I understand exactly why you would want to spend your day reading.